The Cwm Taf Morgannwg Safeguarding Board (CTMSB) operates within the statutory guidance set out under Part 7 of the Social Services and Wellbeing (Wales) Act 2014 and in exercising its functions under the Act the CTMSB will have due regard to the United Nations Principles for Older Persons, the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child and the United Nations Convention on the rights of persons with disabilities.
The CTMSB monitors how well agencies and other partnerships undertake their work with regard to safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk and ensures safeguarding is embedded in all working practices.
Cwm Taf Morgannwg covers the local authority areas of Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil and Rhondda Cynon Taf (RCT), covering a population of around 500,000.
To ensure that children, young people and adults in Cwm Taf Morgannwg are protected from abuse, neglect or other kinds of harm and are prevented from becoming at risk of abuse, neglect or other kinds of harm. The Board will engage with, listen to and hear the views of children, young people and adults.
What does Safeguarding in Cwm Taf Morgannwg look like?
Safeguarding involves both the protection of children and adults at risk from abuse, neglect or other kinds of harm and preventing them from becoming at risk of abuse, neglect or other kinds of harm.
A child is defined by the children’s act 1989 as anyone less than 18 years of age. A ‘child at risk’ is defined in the Social Services and Wellbeing Act (Wales) Act 2014 as a child who;
- is experiencing or is at risk of abuse, neglect or other kinds of harm; and
- has needs for care and support (whether or not the local authority is meeting any of those needs)
An ‘adult at risk’ is defined in the Social Services and Wellbeing Act (Wales) 2014 as an adult who:
- is experiencing or is at risk of abuse or neglect;
- has needs for care and support (whether or not the Local Authority is meeting any of those needs); and
- as a result of those needs is unable to protect himself or herself against abuse or neglect or the risk of it
Abuse means physical, sexual, psychological, emotional or financial abuse. Financial abuse includes;
- having money or other property stolen;
- being defrauded;
- being put under pressure in relation to money or other property;
- having money or other property misused.
Neglect means a failure to meet a person’s basic physical, emotional, social or psychological needs, which is likely to result in an impairment of the person’s well-being.
Safeguarding in Cwm Taf Morgannwg is overseen by the regional multi-agency Cwm Taf Morgannwg Safeguarding Board with responsibility for:
- Safeguarding Adults
- Safeguarding Children
- The Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hubs (MASH)
The responsibilities and functions of the Board are set out in the statutory guidance under Part 7 of the Social Services and Wellbeing (Wales) Act 2014. It has an overall responsibility for challenging relevant agencies so that;
- There are effective measures in place to protect children and adults at risk who are experiencing harm or who may be at risk as the result of abuse, neglect or other kinds of harm; and
- There is effective inter-agency co-operation in planning and delivering protection services and in sharing information
For further information contact Cwm Taf Morgannwg Safeguarding Board on 01443 490 122
Together we all have a part to play in preventing, detecting and reporting neglect and abuse.
Safeguarding is everyone's business.
Report a Concern
To report concerns about a child in RCT call:
01443 425 006
To report concerns about an adult at risk in RCT call:
01443 425 003
To report concerns in Merthyr Tydfil call:
01685 725 000
To report concerns about adults at risk in Bridgend call:
To report concerns about children at risk in Bridgend call:
Emergency Out of hours contact number:
01443 743 665